Quay Arts’ Portfolio Preparation Course empowers individuals to refine their artistic skills and build an impressive portfolio of work under the tutelage of a team of professional artists and makers. Quay Arts are pleased to announce that applications for 2024 are now open!
The aim of the Portfolio Preparation course is to prepare a portfolio of art and hone presentation skills to further your art practice. It is a non-accredited course lead by artist and tutor Nick Martin, which is aimed at people who would like the ‘foundation course’ experience. This course will give you everything you need to create an exciting and impressive portfolio.
This will be the 5th year Quay Arts has run this inspiring course, with the course being three-terms, across 30 days and held weekly every Tuesday; starting in February 2024. Giving participants an opportunity to explore new avenues in art, where our tutors will cover and help you to develop core skills in a variety of mediums in workshops including drawing, painting, printing, traditional crafts, textiles, and sculpture.
Both professional artists from the island and guests from the mainland will hold a range of classes which will take place every Tuesday at Quay Arts and Jubilee Stores (our artist studio and workshop building, located close by down the river).
Prioritise Your Creativity for 2024: Why Choose ‘Portfolio Preparation’?
- Diverse mediums and techniques – Immerse yourself in your creative practice through workshops covering drawing, painting, printing, traditional crafts, textiles, sculpture and more. You will develop core skills whilst exploring your creativity across various mediums.
- Expert Instruction – learn from both local professional artists and selected guests from the mainland. Benefit from their wealth of skills, expertise and experience. With more than 12 artists programmed to deliver the 2024 course.
- Intimate classes – With a maximum of 10 students, our course fosters a close-knit and supportive environment. Through weekly sessions students can bond and develop lasting connections with fellow students and receive personalised attention from tutors with 1-2-1 tutorials.
- Inspiring Environments Classes – Will be held every Tuesday at Jubilee Stores Studios or at Quay Arts, providing an inspiring setting for your creative endeavours.
- End of Course Exhibition – Celebrate your artistic accomplishments in a dedicated end of course professional group show at Quay Arts.
- Value for money – The course fee is £2,300, a competitive price which offers great value for money; includes tuition, specialist materials, 1-2-1 tutorials, professionally mounted end-of-year group exhibition at Quay Arts and more than 12 artists delivering bespoke sessions.
Quotes from Past Students:
“I absolutely loved the first term – it was interesting, informative and inspiring. My portfolio was full of ideas, photographs, and things I’d like to try. The sessions are always very good and informative, they teach the toolkit we will need to progress smoothly through the course and complement other tutors’ sessions”
“Absolutely brilliant, having the opportunity to try so many different techniques and approaches. Great to have the weekly commitment!”
“The course has re-opened my creativity. The course leader is knowledgeable, supportive and so enthusiastic. There is a good variety of tutors which means that it is never boring and each brings another perspective to your work and understanding. I have honed skills, learnt new techniques, started a sketchbook practice, gained a great deal of confidence, and worked out what I want to do next… I feel like an artist now”
Interested in applying?
PRE APPLICATION INFORMATION SESSION
On Sat 16 December | Quay Arts, Cafe Seminar Room | 10 am –12 pm
Join artist & lead tutor Nick Martin, and Quay Arts Visual Arts and Education manager Ian Whitmore, for an informal information session to find out more about QA flagship Portfolio Preparation art course, launching early 2024.
This is a great opportunity to talk about your creative experiences and aspirations, share/bring examples of your work, ask questions and, if it’s a good fit for you, to sign up.
The course has a maximum of 10 students, suitable for 18+. and is non accredited.
The application process is firstly via an expression of interest email. This is followed by an informal interview conversation with Course leader Nick Martin and Visual Arts Manager Ian Whitmore. Please send your expression of interest email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Portfolio Preparation’.
Join us for this year’s Portfolio Group Show
See the culmination of this year’s Portfolio Group at the end-of-course exhibition from December 15th to January 14th in the Clayden Gallery at Quay Arts. Please join us for the launch on December 16th from 1-3 pm. The exhibition is free to visit and open Monday to Sunday, 9 am to 5 pm.