Mike Howley worked for many years as Director of Cultural Services for the Isle of Wight Council. When he died in 2013, he had left part of his estate for the specific benefit of aspiring young actors, musicians, dancers and writers, between the ages of 18 and 30, living on the Isle of Wight. The Trustees of Mike Howley Trust are pleased to honour his legacy with these funding awards.
MHT Funding Application Guidelines 2022/2023
(Applications for the next round of funding will appear on this page in early 2023)
The Trustees of Mike Howley Trust welcome young Island creatives to apply for up to £1,500 to help them realise their artistic ambitions. Funds are available for those involved in dance/movement, theatre/puppetry, film/video, creative writing/spoken word, music, and creative technical support. (Mike Howley Trust is an independent trust operating solely to manage and disperse the funds left by Mike Howley. Due to the terms of this Trust, funding is not available for visual artists).
- You must be at least 18 years of age and no older than 30 years of age on the date of the application deadline.
- You must live on the Isle of Wight.
- You can request funds in a set amount of £500 or £1,000 or £1,500. (You must use the entire amount awarded on your proposed project. If awarded funds do not cover the full cost of the project, you must be prepared to use other resources to make up any difference.)
- You must spend the funds in their entirety within 4 months of the announcement of awards. 90% funding will be provided initially, and 10% following receipt of a brief final report.
- You may apply to use funds in areas such as training, coaching, recording, rehearsal space, staging, publishing, equipment, legal fees, etc. You may use no more than 10% of an award for promotion/marketing.
- The Trust does not award funds towards university/college fees or accommodation.
- If, for whatever reason, funds have not been spent within the 4-month time frame, you must repay the funds. (Time extensions may be permitted in exceptional circumstances.)
- Previous recipients who wish to apply again must have completed previous projects and submitted a report before a further application can be considered. These applicants may also be required to attend an informal interview to discuss their application.
- Make your funding request through the online Application Form
Applicants will receive email acknowledgement of their online submission and will be contacted about award decisions approximately one month following the application deadline.
Examples of past Mike Howley Trust awards:
- A creative writer received funds for courses exploring writing and illustrating children’s books.
- A musician received funds to help develop, mix and re-master tracks for an album.
- A dancer/choreographer received funds for 1-to-1 specialist training.
- A filmmaker received funds towards pre-production costs.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION: Be realistic! Can you accomplish the task in the short time frame with the amount you request? Tell us why this is important to your creative aspirations. Show us with work samples (they don’t need to be professionally produced) that you are serious about being creative.
Questions? Need guidelines or application form in an alternative format? Contact MHT@quayarts.org
Quay Arts (charity number 272007) administers this programme on behalf of the Trustees of the Mike Howley Trust.