Apprentice Chef wanted!
Monday 18 Jun, 2018
Calling all budding Chefs with a huge passion for good food!
The Isle of Wight College works with a number of excellent employers, helping them to find apprentices in a vast array of industries and this is an excellent opportunity to work for The Quay Arts Centre as an Apprentice Chef.
This position is available to current school leavers and those currently out of work and looking for a long-lasting, stable career.
Located in Central Newport, The Quay Arts Centre is home to various galleries as well as exhibitions. They also host lots of exciting events and functions which require catering. The Cafe Bistro has a dynamic Head Chef who likes to introduce new concepts and he is passionate about providing excellent food packed with flavour as well as teaching an Apprentice who wants to learn.
The Quay Arts Centre has a regular clientele as well as being a tourist destination so having a current and interesting menu catering for Meat and Fish eaters, Vegetarians, Vegans and those with specialist dietary requirements is vital. There will be the opportunity to gain a host of skills from Bakery and Bread Making, through to more complex Vegan dishes and learning about how to butcher meat and poultry. Functions may require a buffet style menu rather than a full meal and if working on a Sunday then the Apprentice will learn about how to provide a range of Sunday Roasts. The Head Chef has introduced themed evenings such as Hawaiian, Mexican and Caribbean and the food reflects the culture of the country in as authentic a way as possible. There is also the chance to cater for weddings and Christmas parties. It is a very popular establishment and the food shows passion and has the customer at its heart.
As part of the Government guidelines of 20% off the job training, the successful Apprentice will attend The Isle of Wight College 1 day per week (term time only) as well as having time during working hours to complete the Standards required to complete this Apprenticeship.
The successful Apprentice will be learning the following in this Artisan Cafe / Bistro with expert guidance:
- How to cater for Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free diets as well as those who eat anything and everything
- Helping with menu planning and new dish creation
- Understanding about flavour and texture combinations
- Catering to order
- Making sauces (made from scratch) e.g. Pasta sauce, Hollandaise, dressings and Mayonnaise
- Making stock
- Preparing vegetables
- Adhering to food hygiene regulations
- Baking a variety of cakes from the ‘normal’ to the more ‘interesting’ e.g. courgette cakes
- Making bread
- Sharing platters
- Provide dishes for the deli counter
- Updating various records to comply with regulations
The candidate will need to:
- be a good team player
- show good communication skills
- follow and implement instructions
- have good literacy and numeracy skills
- show a willingness to learn and be trained
- be able to work independently or under supervision
You will need to be:
- an excellent attitude to the world of work
- punctual and hard-working
- calm in a busy working environment
- methodical and orderly in your work
- well-presented with good personal hygiene
- a good team member with a great personality and a passion for great food
- No formal catering qualification is required, however a passion for good food and self-motivation is key.
- GCSE A-D (3/4/5) or equivalents in English and Maths, or the ability and desire to gain these (for school leavers, please mention your predicted GCSE grades on your CV)
- Intermediate Apprenticeship Commis Chef
- Functional Skills in Maths, English and ICT, if required
- 30 hours per week, including day release at IW College during term time. Hours may increase with skills.
- NO SPLIT SHIFTS!!
- Weekend and evening work will be required
If this sounds like the next step you want to take with your career, then please apply here: isleofwightjobs.com/ with a cover letter telling us why you feel you would be the ideal person to take on this brilliant opportunity. Don’t forget to attach your latest CV too!!
This Job Description and Person Specification is not exhaustive and reasonable flexibility is expected to meet the changing needs of the business.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.70 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified, there may be an opportunity to progress to full time employment, depending on suitability / need.
Apprenticeship duration will be 12 – 18 months
ANY APPLICATIONS THAT ARE SUBMITTED WITH ONLY A CV AND NO COVER LETTER WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.